This English translation of the „Baustein Erosion“ is a service provided by the Sustainicum team. Currently, it has not been approved by the authors.
Basic idea of the building block
This building block deals with the topic of erosion, specifically soil erosion through water.
It is comprised of the following elements:
- Instructional video: Mini Flume
- Optional: Execution of mini flume trial at IHLW upon request
- Calculation template for analyzing the mini flume trial
- Accompanying material: Presentation documents and instructions for implementation
Description of the building block
Laboratory experiment “Mini Flume”
The physical model serves to emulate striation erosion on incline surfaces with bare soil. Slope and drainage can be varied. The experiment illustrates the relations between soil degradation and various influencing variables.
The preparatory instructional video can be shown as an introduction or in place of the trial.
Evaluation “Mini Flume” – Calculation template
A calculation example and a template are available for the analysis of the experiment.
- Complete presentation documents (available as PowerPoint Presentation and pdf file) for the presenter
- Instructions for implementing the building block into the course
Application during the course
The use of this building block is explained in the instructions for implementation and can be individually adjusted to the course.
The following agenda is recommended (see presentation documents):
- Introduction to the topic of erosion
- Introduction to the mini flume experiment, including picture series
- Laboratory experiment “Mini Flume”
Showing of film and/or trial (max. group size 10 Persons)
- Analysis of mini flume
- Conclusion and discussion
Aha-effect for students
The combination of theory and application allows students a broad insight into the topic. Achieved through this is awareness for the significance and possibilities of erosion control. This understanding is essential to the sustainable protection of soil as a resource.