By acting photosynthesis out as a ball game, biochemical processes are presented in an easy-to-understand manor using people and acting materials. The transfer, separation, and joining of the balls or fruits makes substance flows more tangible and understandable. The rules of the game are defined by the biochemical background and so convey knowledge of chemistry.
A ball game with movement is a fun and unique way of conveying knowledge.
- Purchase of necessary materials
- Balls can be borrowed at BOKU or obtained through the author
- Rope or bicycle elastic straps of equal length
- 2-5 kg corn or 2 kg spiral noodles (Fusilli)
- Balls with Velcro: oxygen, hydrogen, carbon dioxide
Description of application during the course
- The acting exercise can be used in all lectures in which photosynthesis, carbon cycles, oxygen cycles, or the sun’s energy as universal energy source are central topics.
- The scene can be acted without knowing more than the basic equation: the theoretical background of the „rules of the game“ can also be explained to help increase understanding of the biochemistry of photosynthesis.
Aha effect for students
- Life can not exist without the sun
- Life on Earth is a material and energy flow
- Without plants there would not exist oxygen
This building block can be combined with the building block Acting Out Cellular Respiration as a Ball Game.