Content of Module
- Information and recommendations for class instructors
- Teaching materials and script: PowerPoint presentation (PPP) with instructions
- Teacher’s manual: PPP with notes (questions, answers, interpretation) and supplemented with results sheets for class instructors
- GO tool based on MS Excel
The GO Tool is a tool for rating the energy efficiency of buildings. It can be used without special knowledge of building technology.
Prerequisites for using this tool are the materials on “Building Optimization Energy Efficiency Values” and the “Building Optimization Instruction Manual”. The teaching module provides an understanding of how energy supply and building utilities influence the ultimate energy demand. Effects upon primary energy demand and greenhouse gas emissions will also be addressed.
Suggested Teaching Order
Time for Step 1 - 2: about 10 minutes.
1. Explanation of goal and sequence of material (the first transparencies (slides) on PPP) 2. Presentation of how final energy, primary energy, and carbon dioxide emission and their balances are shown by the GO Tool.
Time for Step 3: about 10 - 20 minutes
3. GO Tool: Energy source example for indoor and water heating. An interpretation and presentation of results can be found in the teacher documents.
Time for Step 4: about 10 - 20 minutes
4. GO Tool: Example of the optimization of building utilities (HVACR). Information and tasks according to PPP. An interpretation and presentation of results can be found in the teaching materials.
Prerequisites for Implementation
MS Excel: two students per computer, if possible. A prerequisite for this module is the completion of teaching module GO-0 “Fundamentals”, which contains instruction on how to use the GO Tool. It would also be an advantage to have completed teaching module GO-1 “Effective Energy”. This module is the basis for understanding the GO-3 teaching module “Building Optimization”, as well as the modules by Alexander Passer (Technical University of Graz) and Heimo Staller (AEE INTEC).