The teaching resource will require the following time:
- work with the students: 1 day per week (2 lecture units) for 15 weeks. In total 30 hours.
- work with stakeholders: 3 weeks (2 hour per week) per each stakeholder to explain the methodology of retrofitting of buildings.
The objective of this teaching resource is to develop a library of energy-related data for the Albanian Residential Building Stock. The building types would be selected based on particular construction periods, sizes of buildings and used material. Also any regional variations would be highlighted. Furthermore we aspirate to estimate the number of buildings in the national housing stock represented by each building type and their energy performance. This will be achieved through interviews with the inhabitants, Problem Based Learning (students will be presented with the problems) and of course through class and field work. After doing all the field work and calculation of the energy performance of the chosen typologies, students should propose methods and instruments of how to improve the performance of the whole building or a single apartment. The knowledge proposing such measures will come from the collaboration with the private stakeholders dealing with energy efficiency materials. It is not feasible to calculate the energy performance of the whole Albanian Residential Building Stock (... -1990). The aim of this teaching resource and this module is to choose a model for every typology of apartment building which we can find in Tirana and to calculate these chosen models. The idea of picking up a model on each typology, in the Albanian Residential Building Stock, is to elaborate and improve the existing knowledge of the students, inhabitants and local/ central government, providing a powerful means for the assessment of the energy performance of individual buildings, groups of buildings and even for the evaluation of the impact of energy conservation scenarios to the entire residential building stock. Accordingly, the main objectives are:
- Using the typology for the assessment of the energy performance of residential buildings and to the evaluation of the impact of energy conservation measures (ECMs)
- Use the typology concept to create a database for the estimation of the national energy performance of the Albanian residential building stock (through the help of National Statistic Institute INSTAT)
- Investigate the possibility of extending the typology concept to non-residential buildings.
The work and outcome is addressed to:
- Architects, engineers and consultants. Energy advisors can use it in counselling sessions to give their clients a quick overview of the energy performance of a building similar to their own and demonstrate the effect of possible measures. Energy consultants may use it as a set of example buildings for demonstrating and testing their software.
- Building owners / building’s technical and maintenance staff .House owners may use it on their own to assess the energy performance of their buildings as well as the cost effectiveness of measures to improve it.
- National and international energy and policy experts On a national level, the building typology can be used as a model for the energy consumption of the residential building stock
This teaching resource aims to give students tools and instruments related to the energy performance of the Residential building stock. This teaching resource will help students learn how to calculate the thermal resistance coefficient for the building envelope and will learn about the volumetric loose coefficient, how to calculate the energy performance of a building, how to calculate the amount of money we spend every year on heating and cooling, how much it will cost to insulate a certain building typology, will learn about the building typology in Albania, the way of constructing, the indoor comfort and the passive techniques on how to reduce the energy consumption, etc.
After learning all that mentioned above and after collaborating with different businesses, students will learn how to develop a library of energy-related data for the Albanian Residential Building Stock. In the long run, the national building typology can be used and developed for forecasting and evaluating the energy savings and carbon dioxide reductions in Albania.
– the division of residential building stocks in size and age classes;
– data of exemplary buildings: visual appearance, commonly found construction elements and corresponding U-values;
– typical values for the energy consumption by energy carriers;
– energy saving measures
– standard reference calculation procedure based on an agreed data format, user conditions and national climatic data;
After doing all the field work and data collection, myself and the students will work on software development, in order to help others to do a quick estimation of the energy performance of their own residential building / apartment.
The teaching methods used in this teaching resource is the “Case study” - in this case the study will focus in the existing residential building stock. As a case study we will take the main typologies of residential buildings in Albania that were built prior 1990
"PBL" related to the data we collected, students will estimate the energy performance of the case studies that they have and they will give solutions to the problems that they face during the study
“Interview” with the inhabitants of the chosen buildings in order for the students to better understand the living conditions of the inhabitants.
"Guest Speaker" during this class students will have the chance to meet at least 3 professionals from the energy calculation field and also from the companies who deal with the energy retrofit of the buildings.